Johnson Creek (Cass County)


Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Johnson Creek rises about a mile west of Avinger in southwestern Cass County (at 32°54' N, 94°35' W) and runs southeast for 10½ miles through southwestern Cass and northwestern Marion counties to its mouth on the Lake O' the Pines, about four miles southwest of Lassater (at 32°47' N, 94°33' W). The stream, which is intermittent in its upper reaches, was dammed in 1960 to form Johnson Creek Reservoir. Johnson Creek is probably named for Isaac H. Johnson, the original grantee of much of the land the creek traverses. The banks of the stream are heavily wooded in places with pine and hardwood trees, and the creek runs through gently undulating to gently rolling terrain characterized by loamy and clayey soils that are used predominantly for timber cultivation and for agriculture.

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Johnson Creek (Cass County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 14, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/johnson-creek-cass-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995