Johnson, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Johnson, also known as Johnson's Camp or Johnson's Switch, was on the Orange and Northwestern Railway in eastern Jasper County. The camp was established in 1906 soon after the completion of the railroad and named after its logging contractor, Ben Johnson. The Johnson camp was used to log for the Miller-Link Lumber Company and had a peak production of twenty-five carloads of timber a day. The camp's population numbered between 250 and 300. The camp was dismantled in 1910, and by 1949 the site was part of the Henderson-Lanier Ranch. No evidence of the lumbering facilities remained in 1986.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Johnson, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/johnson-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995

Place
Johnson
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Jasper County
Associated Names

-Camp

-Switch