Johntown, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Johntown is four miles southeast of Bogata in southwestern Red River County. It reportedly received its name because so many of its residents were named John. A post office was established there in 1900, and in 1913 the town became a station on the Paris and Mount Pleasant Railway. Its population was reported as seventy-five in 1910, fifteen by 1933, and fifty in 1940. The population was an estimated 200 by 1949, when the community reported five rated businesses. The railroad was abandoned in 1959, and the post office was closed shortly thereafter. In the late 1960s and 1990 Johntown reported an estimated population of 175. From the late 1960s through 2000 Johntown reported an estimated population of 175.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Johntown, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 26, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/johntown-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995

Place
Johntown
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1360356
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Red River County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.42288900°
  • Longitude: -95.16966650°
Population Counts
People Year
175 2009