Joliet, TX


By: Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 11, 2020


Joliet is at the intersection of Farm roads 671 and 2984, seven miles northwest of Luling in southwest central Caldwell County. Among the first settlers to arrive in the area was H. A. Loehman, who built a home on Plum Creek in 1846. A post office operated from 1901 until 1903; the community was later served by a rural mail route. Oil was discovered in a nearby field in 1923, and a small boom followed, but the town faded in the 1930s. During the early 1930s its population was reported as ten. In the 1940s the community had separate church and school facilities for African Americans, Mexican Americans, and Whites; several businesses and residences were shown at the location on county highway maps at that time. A church and three cemeteries marked the community's location on county maps in the late 1980s.

Lockhart Post-Register, May 6, 1948. Mark Withers Trail Drive Museum, Historical Caldwell County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Joliet, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/joliet-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 11, 2020

Place
Joliet
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1360363
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Caldwell County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.76939220°
  • Longitude: -97.67916590°
Population Counts
People Year
70 2014