Jollyville, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Jollyville is on Rattan Creek and U.S. Highway 183 eighteen miles north of Austin in southwestern Williamson County. It was founded in 1866 and named for John Grey Jolly, who set up a blacksmith shop and a store and provided land for an early school. In 1878 residents built a school that enrolled thirty-five pupils in 1903. In 1940 the community had forty inhabitants and two businesses. From 1949 to the 1960s Jollyville reported a population of 150. In 1990 its population was 15,206, and the town had expanded into Travis County. The population was 15,813 in 2000.

Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Jollyville, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/jollyville-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995

Place
Jollyville
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1360365
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Williamson County
  • Travis County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.44270110°
  • Longitude: -97.77500880°
Population Counts
People Year
15,206 1990
15,813 2000
16,151 2010
17,809 2019