Jones, TX


By: Diana J. Kleiner

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: February 1, 1995


Jones was at the juncture of Farm Road 1255 and State Highway 110, eleven miles northeast of Canton in northeastern Van Zandt County. In the 1870s it had a church and school. Around that time four Jones brothers started a cemetery on the survey of H. W. Jones. The local school reached an enrollment of thirty-eight in 1906, and the 1936 county highway map showed a business, a church, a school, and several dwellings near the Texas Short Line Railway. In 1965 the town had a business and the church, but by 1981 only the Jones Cemetery and several dwellings by the highway remained.

Van Zandt County History Book Committee, History of Van Zandt County (Dallas, 1984).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Diana J. Kleiner, “Jones, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/jones-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1976
February 1, 1995

Place
Jones
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378501
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Van Zandt County
Associated Names

Board

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.60846710°
  • Longitude: -95.67440640°