Joplin, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Joplin, originally called Haley Springs, is on State Highway 199 ten miles southeast of Jacksboro in southeastern Jack County. It has served as a community center for area farmers throughout its history. Its population, estimated at thirty-five in 1892, grew to seventy-five by 1896 and was reported at that level until the mid-1940s, when it dropped to fifty. The Fairview School, three churches, a general store, a mill, and a gin were present in the community by 1896. The post office, established in 1891, closed in 1914.

Ida Lasater Huckabay, Ninety-Four Years in Jack County (Austin: Steck, 1949; centennial ed., Waco: Texian Press, 1974).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Joplin, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/joplin-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995

Place
Joplin
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378503
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Jack County
Associated Names

Haley Springs

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.09372910°
  • Longitude: -97.99476210°
Population Counts
People Year
15 2009