Judea Church, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: February 1, 1995


Judea Church (Judea) is at the intersection of State Highway 49 and Farm Road 805, eight miles northeast of Jefferson in eastern Marion County. The site of the community is south of State Highway 49; a separate community, Whatley, is to the north of the highway. The Judea school had eighty-six black pupils and one teacher in 1899. In 1938 the community had a two-room schoolhouse, which accommodated sixty-seven black elementary students and two teachers. In the 1940s Judea had three businesses, the school, and a church. The school was consolidated with that of Jefferson by 1955, and in 1962 Judea Church had a church, a sawmill, a number of scattered dwellings, and, a short distance north, the Judea Cemetery. In 1983 the community had a church, a sawmill, and one other business, but was no longer identified on the county highway map.

Jack Reed Harvey, Survey and Proposed Reorganization of the Marion County Schools (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Judea Church, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/judea-church-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

February 1, 1995

Place
Judea
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1338909
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Marion County
Associated Names

-Church

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.79708450°
  • Longitude: -94.23379920°