Julian, TX


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: February 1, 1995


Julian, twelve miles east of Crockett in east central Houston County, was established in the mid-1880s. A post office opened there in 1885; G. W. Julian, after whom the town was named, was the postmaster. At its height in the mid-1890s, the small settlement had a sawmill, a physician, a justice of the peace, and an estimated population of twenty-five. The post office closed in 1901, and by the mid-1930s Julian was no longer shown on highway maps.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Julian, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/julian-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

February 1, 1995

Place
Julian
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Houston County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.36045890°
  • Longitude: -95.27216300°