Juliette Fowler Homes is a nonprofit treatment complex and retirement facility in Dallas. In 1993 the 15½-acre East Dallas campus had three care facilities. The Children, Youth, and Family Services buildings were on the southwest corner of the campus, the Fowler Christian Apartments were on the northern edge of the campus, and the Pearl Nordan Care Center was on the southeastern corner of the campus. Fowler Homes was supported in part by donors throughout Texas, New Mexico, and Louisiana, the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), the Meadows Foundation, the Mabee Foundation, the Beasley Foundation, and the Hoblitzelle Foundation. The home was named for Juliette Peak Fowler, a Dallas pioneer and philanthropist. She devoted her life to working with youth and the elderly beginning in 1861 after the death of her husband and two children. At her death Mrs. Fowler bequeathed the old Peak farm in East Dallas to establish a home for orphans and the aged, along with $4,000 for the home's development. The home received a state charter in 1892, and before construction began on the East Dallas property the first home was located in Grand Prairie and called Faith Cottage. In 1910 construction began on Sarah Harwood Hall (named for Juliette Fowler's sister), the first building on the East Dallas campus. This residence for the aged was completed in 1911 and continued to serve the institution into the late 1980s. By 1913 the first building of the Children's Home was occupied, and five years later its capacity had doubled. The home continued to develop throughout the early 1900s with the expansion of orphan and youth facilities for both residential and outpatient care. In 1953 the hospital was completed, and additional youth facilities were completed in the early 1980s.
In 1981 the 144-unit Fowler Christian Apartments for the retired opened, and the Means Senior Activity Center and the Horace and Helen Sanders Plaza were renovated. New facilities for the Children, Youth, and Family Services programs were completed in 1984. In 1989 the Pearl Nordan Center, a 120-resident facility for the aged, was completed. In the early 1990s the Children, Youth, and Family Services provided inpatient and outpatient treatment for adolescents with emotional, mental, or behavioral problems. The services included an accredited school program, sessions in behavioral and formal therapy, and a variety of classes dealing with social skills, health issues, and recreational activities. The Fowler Christian Apartments were fully appointed one-bedroom apartments for the low-income handicapped and elderly. Services included laundry facilities, lounge areas, an activity center, a swimming pool, and special recreational activities. The Pearl Nordan Care Center provided intermediate nursing-home facilities to persons fifty-five years of age or older. It offered a variety of activities and social services, beauty and barber services, a chapel, a clothing store, food services with professionally supervised therapeutic diets, and housekeeping and laundry services.