Kaffir, TX (Schleicher County)


By: Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl

Type: General Entry

Published: February 1, 1995


Kaffir was sixteen miles west of Eldorado in western Schleicher County. In 1906 local residents opened the Elder School, so called because of its location on the Elder ranch; its name was changed to Kaffir School in 1910, when a new building was constructed at a different site. A local post office operated from 1915 to 1921; William M. Smith was the first postmaster. The school and several scattered houses marked the community on county highway maps in the 1940s. The Kaffir school was grouped with several other districts in 1947 to form the Schleicher County Rural High School District. No evidence of Kaffir was shown on the 1985 county highway map.

Schleicher County Historical Society, A History of Schleicher County (San Angelo: Anchor, 1979).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Kaffir, TX (Schleicher County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 24, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/kaffir-tx-schleicher-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

February 1, 1995

Place
Kaffir
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Schleicher County
Associated Names

Elder