Kaleta, TX


By: Keith Guthrie

Type: General Entry

Published: February 1, 1995


Kaleta was five miles southeast of Odem in south central San Patricio County. Several families settled in the area in the late 1880s and shortly thereafter built a one-room school, which existed until 1910. On April 4, 1894, a post office was established with Frank S. Rachal as the postmaster. It was discontinued in 1914, and mail was routed through Odem. The regular stage mail route that ran from Portland to San Patricio stopped in Kaleta at the James D. Willis home, which was also the post office before 1914. After the school closed in 1910 and the post office was discontinued, the community ceased to exist.

Keith Guthrie, History of San Patricio County (Austin: Nortex, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Keith Guthrie, “Kaleta, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 24, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/kaleta-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

February 1, 1995

Place
Kaleta
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • San Patricio County