Kanawha, TX


By: Claudia Hazlewood

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Kanawha, in a bend of the Red River in northwestern Red River County, was settled in the early 1850s. Dr. Charles P. Brown, who became postmaster when the post office was established in 1886, named the settlement for the Kanawha River of his native West Virginia, and it became a local trading post for a farming community. Kanawha reported a population of fifteen in 1920 and fifty-seven in 1930. The 1936 county highway map showed a cemetery and two churches at the site. The community's population was estimated at 200 from 1940 to 1968, and at 149 from 1968 to 2000, when no rated businesses were reported.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Claudia Hazlewood, “Kanawha, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 23, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/kanawha-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995

Place
Kanawha
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1360492
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Red River County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.86149630°
  • Longitude: -95.25300830°
Population Counts
People Year
90 2009