Kanohatino Indians

By: Thomas N. Campbell

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: July 1, 1995

The Kanohatino (Ayano, Canatino, Coannotino, Kanoutinoa, Konatine, Quanoatinno) Indians are known from documents of the La Salle expedition, which indicate that in the late seventeenth century these Indians lived inland well to the north or northeast of Matagorda Bay, apparently along the Brazos River. The Kanohatinos were expert bison hunters and were said to have forty settlements along the river. At this time they were at war with the Hasinai Indians. Some modern writers have suggested that the Kanohatinos were probably an early group of Wichita Indians, but this cannot be demonstrated. It is possible that the Kanohatino Indians of the French sources were the same people as the Cantonas of the Spanish sources. Both groups occupied the same general area during the same period, and the brief descriptions of their cultures show notable similarities. Further archival research is needed to prove or disprove this possible identity.

Isaac Joslin Cox, ed., The Journeys of René Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle (2 vols., New York: Barnes, 1905; 2d ed., New York: Allerton, 1922). Charles W. Hackett, ed., Pichardo's Treatise on the Limits of Louisiana and Texas (4 vols., Austin: University of Texas Press, 1931–46). Frederick Webb Hodge, ed., Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico (2 vols., Washington: GPO, 1907, 1910; rpt., New York: Pageant, 1959). Pierre Margry, ed., Découvertes et établissements des Français dans l'ouest et dans le sud de l'Amérique septentrionale, 1614–1754 (6 vols., Paris: Jouast, 1876–86). William W. Newcomb, The Indians of Texas (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1961).
  • Peoples
  • Native American
  • Tribes (Other)

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Thomas N. Campbell, “Kanohatino Indians,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 24, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/kanohatino-indians.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 1, 1995