Keeter, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: February 1, 1995


Keeter is on Farm Road 2048 three miles west of Eagle Mountain Lake in south central Wise County. Settlement of the community began in the early 1880s. It was named for L. L. Keeter, a Baptist minister who owned a quarter section of land just north of the town. A post office branch was established in Keeter in 1883. Within a decade the community had four cotton gins, a general store, and an elementary school. As cotton production decreased in the early 1900s, so did the population. Postal service was discontinued in 1904. Keeter was still listed as a community in 1990.

Rosalie Gregg, ed., Wise County History (Vol. 1, n.p: Nortex, 1975; Vol. 2, Austin: Eakin, 1982).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Keeter, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/keeter-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1976
February 1, 1995

Place
Keeter
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378518
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Wise County
Associated Names

Kuter

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.03456660°
  • Longitude: -97.61308120°
Population Counts
People Year
250 2009