Keno, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: February 1, 1995


Keno was two miles north of Cleveland in extreme northern Liberty County. The Keno post office was established in 1883 in a heavily forested region. By 1883 W. C. Jefferson and W. M. Cruse had located a sawmill in the area. Eleven years later Cruse had apparently acquired the entire enterprise, including some $2,000 worth of manufacturing tools and steam-powered machinery. A series of tram railroads ran through the area. In 1902 the Keno post office was discontinued. By the next year Cruse was no longer paying taxes on this property. Keno no longer appears on Texas Highway Department or USGS maps.

Barbara Smith, comp., "Cleveland's History," Cleveland Area Pioneer, June 1978.
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Keno, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/keno-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

February 1, 1995

Place
Keno
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1377114
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Liberty County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.39048480°
  • Longitude: -95.06076670°