Kenton, TX


By: Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl

Type: General Entry

Published: February 1, 1995


Kenton was eleven miles northwest of Bastrop in northwestern Bastrop County. A post office called Caldwell's Store was established there in 1878 with Charles G. Caldwell as postmaster. In the mid-1880s the community had a steam sawmill, a district school, a general store, two churches, and a population of twenty; by 1890 the population had grown to seventy-five. The name of the post office was changed to Kenton in 1898, but the office was discontinued in 1902. No evidence of the community was shown on the 1948 county highway map.

Bill Moore, Bastrop County, 1691–1900 (Wichita Falls: Nortex, 1977).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Kenton, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/kenton-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

February 1, 1995

Place
Kenton
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bastrop County
Associated Names

Caldwell's Store

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.15243690°
  • Longitude: -97.46916330°