Kiam, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Kiam is on U.S. Highway 190 sixty-five miles northwest of Beaumont in extreme eastern Polk County. The small rural community was settled about 1850 and named by the early pioneer Joseph Young for Edward Kiam of Houston. A post office was established at Kiam in 1901 and was discontinued in 1927, when mail was routed to Ollie.

A Pictorial History of Polk County, Texas, 1846–1910 (Livingston, Texas: Polk County Bicentennial Commission, 1976; rev. ed. 1978). History of Polk County (2 vols., Livingston, Texas: Keen Printing, 1968).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Kiam, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/kiam-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995

Place
Kiam
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2034789
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Polk County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.75714380°
  • Longitude: -94.67548390°
Population Counts
People Year
24 2009