George Herbert Kinsolving, Episcopal bishop of Texas, son of Ovid A. and Julia Heiskell (Krauth) Kinsolving, was born in Bedford County, Virginia, on April 28, 1849. Both the Kinsolvings and the Krauths were noted for their service to churches, the Kinsolvings to the Episcopal, the Krauths to the Lutheran. Kinsolving attended the University of Virginia from 1868 to 1870, taught a year in a boys' school near Baltimore, then spent three years at the Episcopal theological school in Alexandria, where he graduated in 1874. He was made deacon in 1874 and priest in 1875. His first post was that of assistant in Christ Church, Baltimore, 1874–75. He was rector of St. Mark's Church, Baltimore, 1875–78; St. John's Church, Cincinnati, 1878–81; and the Church of the Epiphany, Philadelphia, 1881–92. In Cincinnati he married Grace Jaggar of New York on October 8, 1879. They had one child. Kinsolving was selected assistant bishop of Texas in May 1892 and consecrated on October 12. Bishop Alexander Gregg died on July 10, 1893, and Kinsolving subsequently became bishop of Texas. As the size of Texas had necessitated an assistant for Bishop Gregg, so in the course of time Bishop Kinsolving felt the need of an assistant and, on the election of Rev. Clinton S. Quin in 1918 as bishop coadjutor, assigned to him jurisdiction over the missionary work of the diocese.
Sundry honors came to Kinsolving. In 1892 he was given the honorary degree of S.T.D. by Griswold College, Iowa; in 1893, that of D.D. by the University of the South. In 1902 at the Alexandria Seminary he delivered the Reinicker lectures, which were published that year under the title The Church Burden. In 1923 he had charge of the American Episcopal churches in Europe by appointment of the presiding bishop. Kinsolving was a man of wide vision. On his first visit to Austin he foresaw the growth of the University of Texas and the church opportunity there to reach the best minds of the state. His plan for an institute to furnish a home for church girls at the university was fulfilled in Grace Hall, opened in 1898, and led to three other similar dormitories. Next door to Grace Hall, the bishop planned a chapel for both men and women students; this vision too saw fulfillment in All Saints Chapel, opened in 1900, and Gregg House, completed in 1910. Kinsolving's sermons and addresses to diocesan councils were published in the Annual Journals. He died on October 23, 1928, and was buried in Oakwood Cemetery, Austin. In 1940 his body was placed beneath the altar of All Saints Chapel.