Kittrell, TX


By: James L. Hailey

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Kittrell was twenty miles north of Huntsville in Walker County. It was named for Pleasant W. Kittrell, a pioneer physician who arrived in 1850 and settled north of the Trinity River in the region designated Kittrell's Cut-Off because it was separated from the remainder of the county by the Trinity River. Kittrell died in the yellow fever epidemic of 1867. The community that bore his name had a post office from 1898 to 1920; J. H. Dunlap was postmaster in 1914. In 1911 a six-grade school operated at Kittrell. In 1914 the Texas Gazetteer reported a general store and cotton gin there. In 1933 the population was fifty. In 1945 the community had twenty-five residents and one business. In 1991 county highway maps listed a general region designated as Kittrell (Trinity) oilfield.

D'Anne McAdams Crews, ed., Huntsville and Walker County, Texas: A Bicentennial History (Huntsville, Texas: Sam Houston State University, 1976). Frank X. Tolbert, "Tolbert's Texas" Scrapbook, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin. Walker County Genealogical Society and Walker County Historical Commission, Walker County (Dallas, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

James L. Hailey, “Kittrell, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/kittrell-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995

Place
Kittrell
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2034992
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Walker County
Associated Names

's Cut-Off

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.96546350°
  • Longitude: -95.49633110°
Population Counts
People Year
126 2009