Kohrville, also known as Korville and Pilotville, was a small black community near the intersection of Farm Road 149 and the Spring-Cypress Road twenty miles northwest of Houston in northwestern Harris County. Freed slaves from Alabama, who made up the community's population in the 1870s, bought land or cut timber for the nearby Louetta sawmill. The town was named before 1880 for Paul Kohrmann, a German immigrant who ran the post office when mail was first delivered in 1881. In the early 1900s the community had a general store run by Agnes Tautenhahn Kohrmann, a cotton gin, and a sawmill, and reported a population of fifty. In 1906 the local school had thirty-one pupils and one teacher. The post office was discontinued in 1911, and mail was delivered from Hufsmith. In 1940 the town reported one business, a school converted into a community recreation building, two churches, two cemeteries, a ballpark, and a population of thirty. The 1980 county highway map showed a school, a church, Solomon Temple, and a cemetery at the townsite.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Claudia Hazlewood, “Kohrville, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 24, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/kohrville-tx.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.