The Kokernot Ranch, branding O6, covers some 500,000 acres in Jeff Davis, Pecos, and Brewster counties. The O6 brand was registered in Calhoun County as early as 1837 and was purchased by John W. Kokernot in 1872. In 1883 Kokernot and his brother, Lee M. Kokernot, leased grazing land from the state and began running cattle on the open range in the Trans-Pecos area. The brand was registered in Jeff Davis County in 1889 and transferred to L. M. Kokernot in 1896. Settlers began to move into the area; so in 1912 Herbert Lee Kokernot, son of L. M. Kokernot, began purchasing the land and continued to add to his holdings up to 1938. H. L. Kokernot, Jr., took over the ranch management in 1920. In 1939 ranch holdings stood at 300,000 acres. The rough terrain of the ranch necessitated use of the old-time mule-drawn chuck wagon, so that the O6 retained much of the traditional ranch atmosphere. The ranch stocks ranged Herefords, and its management was characterized by careful selection of animals, care not to overstock, and small loss from cattle diseases. All losses, including those due to poison weeds and predatory animals, ran from 3 to 5 percent annually, according to 1947 records. Ranch headquarters in 1995 were in Alpine, Texas.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
- Ranching and Cowboys
- Ranches Established After 1835
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Clifford B. Casey, “Kokernot Ranch,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 23, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/kokernot-ranch.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.