Kokomo, TX


By: William R. Hunt

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 1, 2015


Kokomo, on Farm Road 2689 six miles south of Lake Leon in southeastern Eastland County, was founded in the 1890s after the construction of the Texas and Pacific Railway. The post office opened in 1899 with Mary E. Comer as postmistress and was discontinued in 1907. The school was opened in the early 1900s and closed in the 1940s. The schoolhouse and commemorative plaque were destroyed by a tremendous wild fire that ravaged Eastland County in 2006. The population was twenty-five in 1980 and 1990. The population was twenty-five in 1980 through 2000.

 Texas Almanac (1982-83), 174.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

William R. Hunt, “Kokomo, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/kokomo-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
July 1, 2015

Place
Kokomo
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380868
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Eastland County
Associated Names

Corner

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.28291280°
  • Longitude: -98.70505730°
Population Counts
People Year
25 2009