Capt. William B. Krumbhaar organized the Seventeenth Texas Field Battery, better known as Krumbhaar's Texas Battery, to serve specifically with Smith P. Bankhead's Brigade in April 1863. Krumbhaar rose rapidly through the Confederate ranks. Starting at the outbreak of the war in 1861 as a private in the Fifth Company Washington Artillery of New Orleans, by September 1862 Krumbhaar received a promotion to lieutenant.
At the end of 1862, Krumbhaar accompanied Smith P. Bankhead to Texas and became the captain of his battery, which had a variety of names including the Texas Horse Artillery and the Texas Guards. Most of the men composing the battery came from Company F of the First Regiment Arizona Brigade, and a small number came from Col. Edward J. Gurley's Thirtieth Texas Cavalry. The balance of men enlisted straight into the battery from Castroville, Fredericksburg, San Antonio, and a few from western Louisiana, which made the battery thirty men strong. The battery joined Bankhead's brigade in June 1863. By the spring of 1864 the brigade had changed commanders and names when Brig. Gen. Richard Montgomery Gano took command of the now-dubbed Gano's Brigade. In this command the battery only fired their four mountain howitzers in battle at Poison Spring, Arkansas.
Capt. William Krumbhaar received a promotion to major and chief of artillery for Indian Territory on October 7,1864. Krumbhaar left Capt. W. M. Stafford in command of the battery. Capt. Sylvanus Howell, also of Gano's Brigade, replaced Krumbhaar on March 12, 1865, after Gen. Edmund Kirby Smith, commander of the Department of the Trans-Mississippi, relieved him of duty. In the last months of the war, Stafford's (Krumbhaar's) Battery joined Howell's Battery and Dashiell's Battery to form the Seventh Mounted Artillery Battalion, which disbanded in May 1865 as part of Sam Bell Maxey's Division.