La Grange Paper

By: Jeanette H. Flachmeier

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995

The La Grange Paper, successor to the La Grange Texas Monument, began publication at La Grange, Fayette County, on February 24, 1855. William B. McClellan, the editor, advertised himself as an American and Protestant devoted to the welfare of La Grange and Fayette County. His editorials indicated little optimism for the success of his paper, bemoaned the few subscribers (175 instead of a desired 600), and threatened that he would move elsewhere unless he received better patronage. The issue of June 30, 1855, contained a severe attack on the antislavery German population of Fayette County. The last issue o*f the paper, September 29, 1855, indicated that publication was ceasing because of the editor's impaired health and lack of public support of the paper.

La Grange High School, Fayette County: Past and Present (La Grange, Texas, 1976). Julia Lee Sinks, Chronicles of Fayette (La Grange, Texas, Bicentennial Commission, 1975). Leonie Rummel Weyand and Houston Wade, An Early History of Fayette County (La Grange, Texas: La Grange Journal, 1936). WPA Historical Records Survey Program, Texas Newspapers (Houston: San Jacinto Museum of History Association, 1941).
  • Journalism
  • Newspapers

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Jeanette H. Flachmeier, “La Grange Paper,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 28, 2022,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995