La Villa, TX


By: Alicia A. Garza

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: February 1, 1995


La Villa is on the Southern Pacific line and Farm Road 491 off State Highway 107, twenty miles northeast of McAllen in eastern Hidalgo County. It is on land that was part of the land grant issued to Vicente de Ynojosa by Spain in 1797. A community existed in the area by 1800. Settlement by northern Anglo-Americans started after the railroad arrived in the county. In 1927 the town became a shipping point and post office on the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway. The population was 100 in 1933, and in 1947 La Villa was made up of eight businesses and a population of 200. On September 1, 1953, the La Villa Independent School District was established. La Villa had a school, two churches, eighteen businesses, numerous dwellings, and a population of 200 in 1957. The population of the community increased gradually during the 1960s and 1970s and reached 1,388 in 1990. In 2000 the population was 1,305.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Alicia A. Garza, “La Villa, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/la-villa-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1976
February 1, 1995

Place
La Villa
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2411586
Town Fields
  • Has post office: Yes
  • Is Incorporated: Yes
Belongs to
  • Hidalgo County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 26.29787400°
  • Longitude: -97.92651800°
Population Counts
People Year
1,388 1990
1,305 2000
1,957 2010
2,543 2019