Lacy-Lakeview is on Interstate Highway 35 five miles north of Waco in north central McLennan County. The land was part of the league and labor granted to Sarah Ann Walker in 1843 in recognition of her husband Jacob Walker's service at the Alamo. Settlement of the area began as early as the 1850s, and two communities were established in the vicinity. Lacy was named for William David Lacy, who encouraged development by selling farm lots in the early 1880s. Walter G. Lacy, Sr., of Waco began financing the construction of roads and water services for the community in 1910. In 1912 Lacy became a station on the Texas Electric Railway, an interurban line that connected Dallas and Waco. By the 1930s the settlement reported two businesses and forty residents; its population was estimated at fifty in the 1940s. Lakeview, also a station on the interurban railroad, was named for its location near some small spring-fed lakes. The Lakeview school replaced the Frost school in nearby Lacy in 1915 and became the focus of an independent district in 1927. Lakeview had a population of seventy and two businesses in the 1940s. The two communities established a common city government in 1953 and elected Frank Mosley mayor. Lacy-Lakeview developed rapidly into a suburban community with an economy almost completely dependent on that of Waco. The population estimates were as high as 2,272 by the early 1960s and rose to 2,558 by the early 1970s. In the late 1980s the community reported 3,090 residents and in 1990, 3,617. By 2000 the population had reached 5,764.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Lacy-Lakeview, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed December 01, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lacy-lakeview-tx.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.