The Ladonia Male and Female Institute was founded in 1860 by the Sister Grove Baptist Association, which comprised seven counties and twenty-three churches. Ladonia, rather than Bonham or Kentucky Town, was chosen as the site because of its offer of a two-story building and more than $2,600 in cash. A. G. Moffett, conductor of a private school in the building, was the first principal; J. C. Averett became principal in 1861. In 1863 the school was moved to Sandy Creek, where it soon closed because of low enrollment. W. B. Featherstone reopened the institution in 1867 and in 1868 returned it to Ladonia. Because of financial reverses it was permanently closed in 1875.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
- Defunct Elementary and Secondary Schools
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Anonymous, “Ladonia Male and Female Institute,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed November 25, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/ladonia-male-and-female-institute.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.