Lake B. A. Steinhagen is on the Neches River a half mile north of Town Bluff in Tyler and Jasper counties (at 30°47' N, 94°10' W). It is impounded by the Town Bluff Dam. The lake has a drainage area of 7,573 square miles. Its paved earthfill dam has a spillway crest elevation of eighty-five feet above mean sea level. Construction on the dam by Reynolds, William, and Noonan Construction Company started in March 1947. The dam is owned by the United States government and is operated by the United States Army Corps of Engineers. The lake, which is eight miles long and four miles wide, is crossed near its midpoint by U.S. Highway 190. Martin Dies, Jr., State Park and Sandy Creek Park are on its banks.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Anonymous, “Lake B. A. Steinhagen,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed December 04, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lake-b-a-steinhagen.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.