Lake Brownwood State Recreation Area is located off State Highway 279 twenty-two miles northwest of Brownwood in Brown County. The Brown County Water Control and Improvement District No. 1 dammed Pecan Bayou to form the lake, which covers 7,300 acres, for water for Brownwood. The water district deeded 538 acres of land on the lakeshore to the State Parks Board in 1933. The lake and park were named for the city of Brownwood. During the 1930s the Civilian Conservation Corps did the original development and improvements, which included the usual stone clubhouse and dance terrace on the lakeshore. The park has cabins overlooking the lake. Campsites are supplied with water, tables, and grills; some also have electricity and sewer connections. Some screened shelters are available. The park has facilities for group events including a group dining hall and bunkhouses, a Beach Lodge, and a Fisherman Lodge. Boat ramps and docks are available. The park features a lighted fishing pier, fish-cleaning tables, a park store, a swimming beach, hiking trails, and a bike trail. Fishing is the big attraction; most of the fish caught are crappie, bass, or catfish.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Jeanne F. Lively, “Lake Brownwood State Recreation Area,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 20, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lake-brownwood-state-recreation-area.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.