The Handbook of Texas is free-to-use thanks to the support of readers like you. Support the Handbook today.

Font size: A / A reset

Support Texas History Now


Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.

Become a TSHA Member Today »

Lake Eanes

General Entry

Lake Eanes, on Mercer's Creek three miles south of Comanche in southern Comanche County (at 31°51' N, 98°37' W), was named for J. R. Eanes, a mayor of Comanche. The lake, constructed in 1925, has a capacity of 1,000 acre-feet. It furnished water for Comanche and the neighboring areas and served the purpose of irrigation and recreation. By the 1990s Lake Eanes had been sold by the city of Comanche and was privately owned. Stone picnic tables and benches placed in the lakeside park during the 1930s were moved to Comanche and re-erected in the city park southwest of town. The lake is situated in an area of steep slopes and benches, where shallow clay loams support juniper, live oak, mesquite, and grasses.

Comanche County Bicentennial Committee, Patchwork of Memories: Historical Sketches of Comanche County, Texas (Brownwood, Texas: Banner Printing, 1976).

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Lake Eanes,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 08, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lake-eanes.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Loading