Lake Nasworthy, an artificial lake on the South Concho River six miles southwest of San Angelo in central Tom Green County (at 31°23' N, 100°29' W), was constructed by the West Texas Utilities Company in 1929–30 to supply municipal and industrial water and water for irrigation to San Angelo. The project was named for John R. Nasworthy, who raised race horses on the land before it was inundated to form the lake. He sold the land to the city of San Angelo in May 1950. Nasworthy Dam is an earthfill dam, designed by Floyd and Lockridge of Dallas, with a crest length of 5,480 feet (including spillways) at an elevation of 1,879 feet above mean sea level. Surface area of the lake is 1,596 acres at the top of the collapsible floodgates, and normal capacity is 13,990 acre-feet. The lake drains an area of 3,833 square miles. Twin Buttes Reservoir, completed in February 1963, regulates the flow into Lake Nasworthy. Farm Road 584 crosses the lake at its approximate midpoint, near the site of a state fish hatchery.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Seth D. Breeding, “Lake Nasworthy,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed November 27, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lake-nasworthy.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.