Lake Stamford, twelve miles southeast of Haskell in southeastern Haskell County (at 33°04' N, 99°34' W), was formed when a dam on Paint Creek was completed in 1953. Two years of construction resulted in an eight-mile-long lake with a capacity of 60,000 acre-feet and a surface area of 5,125 acres. The local clay loam soils support scrub and short grasses. Recreation opportunities include picnicking, fishing, and boating at Sico Scott Memorial and Lake Stamford parks. Lake Stamford furnishes the corporate water supply for the town of Stamford by aqueduct.