Lakeland, TX (Liberty County)


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Lakeland was seven miles north of Liberty in central Liberty County. The agricultural community was the site of a gristmill, a sawmill, a cotton gin, and a schoolhouse. The Lakeland post office was established in 1904 with William Finley as postmaster. It was discontinued in 1931, and the site of the old Lakeland community, estimated to have had a population of seventy-five in 1910, was soon developed as part of the Hardin oilfield, discovered in 1935.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Lakeland, TX (Liberty County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lakeland-tx-liberty-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Lakeland
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1377128
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Liberty County
Associated Names

Finley

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.17382330°
  • Longitude: -94.75436740°