Lakenon, TX


By: Lisa C. Maxwell

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Lakenon is at the junction of State Highway 22, the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad, and Pecan Creek, seven miles east of Hillsboro in eastern Hill County. It became a flag stop on the Katy when the railroad was built from Fort Worth to Hillsboro in 1881. The community was named for A. R. Lakenon, who served as a notary public in the Texas Senate in 1899. In 1894 Lakenon received its own post office, which it held for a short time, and by 1906 the Lakenon school had ninety-nine pupils. At one time the community had a general store and blacksmith shop. In 1953 the Lakenon school was consolidated with the Hillsboro schools. In the 1980s the community was still marked on maps.

Hill County Historical Commission, A History of Hill County, Texas, 1853–1980 (Waco: Texian, 1980).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Lisa C. Maxwell, “Lakenon, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lakenon-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Lakenon
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378552
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hill County
Associated Names

Heckler

Heritage

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.05209810°
  • Longitude: -97.02444660°