Lakeview is near the crossroads of Highway 86 and Farm Road 1172, seventy-five miles southwest of Amarillo in Parmer County. It was established in 1928 when the black school district was divided. The new district extended from Frio Draw on the north to State Highway 86 on the south and from it a community developed. The two-room schoolhouse was eleven miles southeast of Friona and was built facing east toward a playa which was dry except during the rainy season; hence the name. When school buses were introduced to the area in 1942, the district was merged with the Friona district, and the school was moved there. Lakeview had forty-five residents in 1985. For years the voting place for Precinct 8 was the farmhouse of the E. B. Whitefield family. In 1990 the community was centered around a grain elevator, a fertilizer company, and a cotton gin. With irrigation farmers in the area raise wheat, corn, sorghum, and hay. Hogs, sheep, and cattle are also raised.