In 1866 O. P. Stark, a Presbyterian missionary to the Choctaw Indians, moved to Paris, Texas, and opened the Lamar Female Seminary. Departments of the school included elementary, academic, collegiate, music, art, science and philosophy. At one time the school had five instructors. A charter was granted in May 1871. Stark operated the school until 1880, when he returned to Indian Territory. The school closed shortly after his departure.