Lamasco, TX


By: Brian Hart

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Lamasco is on Farm Road 1396 eight miles northeast of Bonham in north central Fannin County. It was established about 1850 and given a portmanteau name made of the names of three early settlers, Law, Mason, and Scott. By 1888 Lamasco had a population of seventy-five, a general store, a drugstore, a steam gristmill, a sawmill, and two hotels. In addition, a post office operated there between 1886 and 1920. The population reached 179 by 1900, when Lamasco had a school, a sawmill, a hotel, two stores, and two churches. By the 1950s the community had only seventy residents and two businesses. In the 1980s through 2000 the population was thirty-two.

Fannin County Folks and Facts (Dallas: Taylor, 1977). Floy Crandall Hodge, A History of Fannin County (Hereford, Texas: Pioneer, 1966).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Brian Hart, “Lamasco, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lamasco-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Lamasco
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1382119
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Fannin County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.69510220°
  • Longitude: -96.06664260°
Population Counts
People Year
32 2014