Lamkin, TX


By: Tracey L. Compton

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Lamkin, on State Highway 36 twenty-four miles southeast of Comanche in southeastern Comanche County, was named for George Lamkin, who donated the land for the town. By 1884 Lamkin had a post office, and by 1890 its population of twenty-five was also served by a general store. The settlement was first located on the Leon River until a flood in 1908. It was then moved one-half mile north to its present site. Around 1913 Lamkin was served by the St. Louis Southwestern Railway, and by 1914 it had three general stores, a drugstore, a blacksmith shop, and a cotton gin. A fire in 1922 destroyed most of the businesses in Lamkin, and the town never really recovered. It had a population of 300 in 1929 but declined steadily until stabilizing at eighty-eight from the 1970s through 2000.

Comanche County Bicentennial Committee, Patchwork of Memories: Historical Sketches of Comanche County, Texas (Brownwood, Texas: Banner Printing, 1976). S. G. Reed, A History of the Texas Railroads (Houston: St. Clair, 1941; rpt., New York: Arno, 1981).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Tracey L. Compton, “Lamkin, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 03, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lamkin-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Lamkin
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378555
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Comanche County
Associated Names

-sville

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.82320630°
  • Longitude: -98.26420550°
Population Counts
People Year
87 2009