Lanark, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Lanark is on U.S. Highway 59 two miles north of Queen City in northeastern Cass County. Settlement began in the early 1870s, when the Texas and Pacific Railway was built across that portion of the county. A post office was in operation there from 1873 until 1877. Apparently there were problems in establishing titles to the land on which the community was located, and most of those who settled there moved south to Queen City or Atlanta. By 1983 the town was little more than a few widely scattered houses. In 2000 the population was reported as thirty.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Lanark, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lanark-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995

Place
Lanark
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378556
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Cass County
Associated Names

Atlanta 1

Forest Home 1

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.18207370°
  • Longitude: -94.14935410°
Population Counts
People Year
30 2009