Lander, TX


By: Nellie Murphree

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Lander was sixteen miles southeast of Yoakum near the Lavaca and Victoria county lines in DeWitt County. The school was established in 1905 on land donated by J. A. Lander and became the county's first state-aid rural school in 1934. It was closed in 1944. Church of Christ services were held in the abandoned building in 1948. Lander has not been a designated place name on the county highway map since at least 1962.

Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Nellie Murphree, “Lander, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lander-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Lander
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • DeWitt County