Landrum Station, TX


By: Alicia A. Garza

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Landrum Station, or Landrum, is near the junction of U.S. Highway 281 and Farm Road 2520, eight miles south of Harlingen in southwest Cameron County. A railway station was opened when the San Benito and Rio Grande Valley Railway built a spur through the area in 1913. A post office was established there in the early 1900s and called Landrum Station, after the operator of the general store. The settlement became a supply point for the farming area. It reported one store and a population of twenty-five in 1948. By 1964, the next year in which population estimates were recorded, the site had 125 inhabitants. In 1990 and again in 2000 the population was reported at 125.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Alicia A. Garza, “Landrum Station, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 15, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/landrum-station-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Landrum Station
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Cameron County
Associated Names

Landrum

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 26.04396670°
  • Longitude: -97.69860310°