Roy E. Lane, architect, was born in Kansas City, Missouri, in 1884. He received his early education there and later studied at the University of Minnesota, from which he earned degrees in architecture and civil engineering. Lane moved to Texas in 1907, settled in Waco, and established an architectural office. He quickly earned a reputation as a skilled practitioner and over the course of the next 2½ decades designed numerous buildings in Central Texas, including the Waco Public Library and the W. C. Cameron residence, as well as the twenty-two-story Amicable Building, which dominated the Waco skyline. He also designed courthouses in Bosque and Runnels counties. In 1936 Lane moved his practice to Dallas. Among his best-known works there were the Southwestern Motor Freight Bureau, the Haggar Slacks Company plant, and the Guiberson Corporation office building. Lane was among the founding members of the Texas chapter of the American Institute of Architects and the Texas Association of Architects and served as president of the TAA in 1918–19. In 1954 he was elevated to an honorary membership in the Dallas Chapter of the American Institute of Architects. He died in Dallas on August 7, 1956, and was buried at Restland Memorial Park.