Lanely, TX


By: Chris Cravens

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Lanely is on Farm Road 489 four miles southeast of Dew in south central Freestone County. It was established about 1880 and named for a Methodist preacher. The community had a general store, cotton gin, church, and school. A post office was established there in 1899 with James K. Lane as postmaster. Between 1903 and 1910 the boll weevil damaged area cotton crops so badly that local farmers were forced to start raising stock. The Lanely post office was closed in 1907, and mail was delivered from Buffalo. By the 1930s Lanely comprised a church, a business, and a few scattered dwellings. In 1966 its population was estimated at eighty, but from 1970 to 1990 it was reported as twenty-seven.

Freestone County Historical Commission, History of Freestone County, Texas (Fairfield, Texas, 1978).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Chris Cravens, “Lanely, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lanely-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Lanely
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380871
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Freestone County
Associated Names

Laneley

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.60072770°
  • Longitude: -96.05996570°
Population Counts
People Year
27 2009