Lanes Chapel, TX (Bosque County)


By: Karen Yancy

Type: General Entry

Published: February 1, 1995


Lanes (Lane's) Chapel is on Farm Road 2602 seven miles northwest of Valley Mills and twenty-three miles northwest of Waco in southwestern Bosque County. The first known settler was John R. Cox in 1865. The first school was constructed in 1876. John R. Lane and his sons arrived in 1877 and built a church the next year. After completion of the church, the community changed its name from Hollis Prairie to Lanes Chapel, after the Lane family. The Lanes Chapel school consolidated with the Mosheim public schools in the early 1930s. Church membership was transferred to the Clifton Methodist Church in 1959. The church in Lanes Chapel then served as a community center.

Bosque County History Book Committee, Bosque County, Land and People (Dallas: Curtis Media, 1985). William C. Pool, Bosque Territory (Kyle, Texas: Chaparral, 1964).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Karen Yancy, “Lanes Chapel, TX (Bosque County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lanes-chapel-tx-bosque-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

February 1, 1995

Place
Lanes Chapel
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1374464
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bosque County
Associated Names

Hollis Prairie

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.66654900°
  • Longitude: -97.59168610°