Lannius, TX


By: Brian Hart

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Lannius is on Farm Road 897 ten miles northeast of Bonham in central Fannin County. Settlers, led by William Onstott, Richard Overton, Ira Isham, and W. W. Bowman, moved into the area as early as 1836. By the 1880s the settlement, called Stephensville, had a school, a saloon, and a blacksmith shop. In 1891 the community received a post office and changed its name to Lannius because Texas already had a post office named Stephensville; the post office operated until 1907. The new name came from William Lannius, a landowner and businessman who inherited the land around the community. By 1900 the community's population reached 119; it was reported at that level through the 1930s. In 1949 Lannius had fifty residents and two businesses. Its population was estimated as seventy in 1967 and as seventy-nine in 1990 and 2000.

Fannin County Folks and Facts (Dallas: Taylor, 1977). Floy Crandall Hodge, A History of Fannin County (Hereford, Texas: Pioneer, 1966).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Brian Hart, “Lannius, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 05, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lannius-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Lannius
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1360947
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Fannin County
Associated Names

Stephensville

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.60815960°
  • Longitude: -96.05608490°
Population Counts
People Year
79 2014