Laredo Air Force Base


By: Art Leatherwood

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: March 1, 1995


Laredo Air Force Base, formerly Laredo Army Air Field, was on U.S. highways 59 and 81 near Laredo in Webb County. Laredo Army Air Field began operations as a World War II military installation in November 1942; it included a gunnery range and flexible gunnery school. The field became inactive in late 1945, and the property reverted to the city of Laredo, which used it as a municipal airport in 1950. The base was reactivated and renamed Laredo Air Force Base in April 1952 to provide basic flight training for jet pilots, including pilot trainees from twenty-four countries. It was closed permanently in 1973.

Mark L. Morgan, "Air Force Bases: 1946–1987," AAHS Journal 32 (Winter 1987). Robert Mueller, Air Force Bases, Vol. 1 (Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama: Simpson Historical Research Center, 1982). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Art Leatherwood, “Laredo Air Force Base,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 08, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/laredo-air-force-base.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1976
March 1, 1995