Lark, on Interstate Highway 40 (U.S. 66) in southern Carson County, was platted at the time of the building of the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf Railway line in 1903 and named for Lark Stangler, an area rancher. The brothers Q. W. and Joe Krizan operated the first store in town. A post office was opened in 1909, but after 1915 the mail was delivered to Conway, seven miles west. By that time Lark had a population of ten, which remained stable through the 1930s. The post office was reestablished in 1925, and by 1940 the town reported one business, a church, a school, and a population of twenty. However, improved transportation and the proximity of neighboring towns resulted in the decline of Lark. The post office was closed for the final time in 1957, and mail thereafter was sent to Groom, eight miles east. Lark reported a population of twenty-six, a community center, and two grain elevators in 1984.