Laurelia, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Laurelia was on the Houston, East and West Texas Railway south of Corrigan ninety-five miles north of Houston in central Polk County. It was founded after Judge Claiborne Holshausen built a sawmill there in 1880 and was named for the laurel growths in the area. The mill went through several changes in ownership but remained an important center for the timber trade until the sawmill plant, then owned by the Davidson-Ingram Lumber Company, burned in 1910. The post office at Laurelia, which had opened in 1903, discontinued operations after the sawmill burned. Laurelia, now a ghost town, was listed on railroad maps as late as 1918.

A Pictorial History of Polk County, Texas, 1846–1910 (Livingston, Texas: Polk County Bicentennial Commission, 1976; rev. ed. 1978).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Laurelia, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/laurelia-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Laurelia
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Polk County