David E. Lawhon, soldier, judge, and publisher of the Nacogdoches Texian and Emigrant's Guide, was born in Morgan or Roan County, Tennessee, on June 15, 1811. He learned the printer's trade and during his early life worked in several different cities. Lawhon and his brother, Dr. John C. Lawhon, moved to Texas from Natchitoches, Louisiana, about November 1, 1835. Soon after he arrived in Nacogdoches, Lawhon volunteered for service in the Texas army, but when it was discovered that he was a printer, local officials convinced him that he could render better service to the Texas cause in the printing business than in the army. William G. Logan, a merchant who had purchased a newspaper printing press that Milton Slocum had brought to Nacogdoches in 1829, persuaded Lawhon to publish a newspaper. The first issue of the Texian and Emigrant's Guide appeared on November 28, 1835. Lawhon also printed war proclamations and legal blanks during the winter of 1835–36. He continued to publish the Texian and Emigrant's Guide until January or February 1836; sometime thereafter he joined the army and was severely wounded. After the Texas Revolution he married Nancy Carr, with whom he had six children. Around 1839 the family settled in Jefferson County, where Lawhon went into stock raising. He served eight years as county judge, then moved to Bastrop County around 1860. He later moved to Williamson County, where he died on February 14, 1884.